Now That You’re Married

Do you want or need to change your deed?  Did one of you change your last name? Or did you both?  Deeds without consideration in Maryland, the District of Columbia and Virginia are recorded for only the cost of the recording fee, no recordation or transfer tax is charged.  


You may want to change the tenancy to Tenants by the Entireties.  This is a special tenancy just for married couples that protects the property from a judgment against only one of the parties.  And it provides for the automatic transfer of the property to the surviving spouse upon the death of one of the parties. 


To prepare a new deed we need the property address and your names as you now want them to appear on the deed, and confirmation that you do want to hold title as tenants by the entireties. 


Questions?  Call us at 301-770-4107

, ,

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply